- Green Digital Charter
- Signatory cities
Currently viewing the tag: "city-as-a-platform"
(updated on 28 August 2017)
Four GDC signatories among finalists for the iCapital Award 2017
Among all ten cities shortlisted for the iCapital Award 2017, four have signed the Green Digital Charter. Their strategy? Foster the use of digital solutions to improve quality of life in cities and increase participation in cities.
- Helsinki – for its world-class education and IT culture that fosters innovative collaborations among citizens and institutions to jointly tackle urban challenges such as air quality, maritime technology and health-tech.
- Nice – for its Smart City strategy that offers citizens to engage via the city Innovation Centre in decisions on climate change, healthy ageing, environmental risk and security innovation.
- Tallinn – for becoming a model of a true “eCity” by digitalising all the city services.
- Tampere -for its “Grow.Smart.Together“ urban development program, where citizens, universities and businesses are involved in creating smart urban solutions fostering new jobs in the city.
“Tampere is committed to the development of a “city-as-a-platform”-based urban innovation ecosystem. key aims of the new 2017 Tampere Mayoral Program are to strenghten communality and co-creation, and to make Tampere a model city of urban digital economy focusing on citizens’ wellbeing and urban economic competitiveness”. – Lauri Lyly, Mayor of the City of Tampere > More information on Tampere’s application at http://innovationcapital.fi/
After Barcelona (2014) and Amsterdam (2016) (two other signatories), which city will be recognised as the most innovative in Europe?
The European Capital of Innovation 2017 award and a prize of €1 million to scale up innovation activities will go to the city presenting the best innovation ecosystem, with two runners-up to receive a prize of €100 000 each. The winners will be announced on 7 November at the Lisbon Web Summit.
To win the award, cities must prove how they improved the quality of life by:
- Experimenting with innovative concepts, processes, tools and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- Expanding the city’s attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- Empowering the local ecosystem through the implementation of innovative practices.
More information can be found at www.ec.europa.eu/icapital –