- Green Digital Charter
- Signatory cities
This activity is part of a series of three webinars on participatory budgeting organised by the EIP-SCC Citizen Focus Action Cluster.
14 MARCH 2018 – 14:00-15:30 CEST
The role of local authorities in enabling participatory budgeting practices and projects
The practical organisation of a participatory budgeting activity in an urban context requires specific skills and resources for setting and coordinating a public consultation that involves thousands of participants. Managing a Participatory Budgeting process is a complex task that requires scientific and technical resources that administrative offices are not always equipped with – particularly when the scale of the engaged public authority is small. For this reason many cities delegate Participatory Budgeting processes to third parties, such as sub-contractors and providers of services, resulting in significant consequences on the overall political and financial balance of the whole process.
The complexity of managing Participatory Budgeting processes has increased in recent years as a result of growing digitization phenomena. While on one hand the aforesaid simplifies Public Administrations’ internal management procedures, it also encourages resorting to third parties for acquiring new sets of specialised skills and services.
Knowledgeable scholars will guide us through:
- The definition of theoretical management models for PB
- The analysis of main costs and services associated to the delivery of a PB process
- The description of potential contractual models and insights into the configuration of relations between public authorities and third parties
- The analysis of the possible issues related to the externalisation of PB management
- The role of supra-local institutions in activating and consolidating local processes
- This webinar will analyse existing models for managing Participatory Budgeting processes.
A detailed agenda will successively be circulated to all participants.
Read more at http://eu-smartcities.eu/sites/default/files/2018-02/Agenda_PB-WEB.pdf